lower center on card: Geo. Catlin. 1861.; lower left on card: A/92; upper center on board on applied paper: 166.; upper left reverse in black ink: A/92; upper center reverse in graphite: 166; upper right reverse in graphite: Scalp dance; center reverse in graphite partially obscured by AMNH label: Box 2 -, No 3; upper and center left reverse in graphite: #6 upper, Var, [other illegible notations]
George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Indiens des deux Ameriques, Salle du Jardin Botanique, Brussels, 1870, no. 7.
- Catlin's Indian Cartoons, Somerville Gallery, New York, 1871, no. 7.
- Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., 1872.
- Possibly Centennial Exhibition, Philadelphia, 1876.
- George Catlin, American Indians: Paintings from The Collection of the American Museum of Natural History, Kennedy Galleries, Inc., New York, 1956.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, Wyoming, 1964-1974.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 31.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 100, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 87, repro.