lower left on card: A/105; upper center on board in pink paint: 527; lower right on board on applied paper: 15; upper left reverse on cellophane tape: Lot 7-101; center left reverse, newspaper remnant, one word legible: aout; center reverse, newspaper remnant: donner u
George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Indiens des deux Ameriques, Salle du Jardin Botanique, Brussels, 1870, no. 527.
- Catlin's Indian Cartoons, Somerville Gallery, New York, 1871, no. 391.
- Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., 1872.
- Possibly Centennial Exhibition, Philadelphia, 1876.
- George Catlin, American Indians: Paintings from The Collection of the American Museum of Natural History, Kennedy Galleries, Inc., New York, 1956.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Whitney Gallery of Western Art, Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, Wyoming, 1964-1974.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Julian Martin Niemczyk, U.S. Embassy residence, Prague, Czechoslovakia, 1987-1989.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Shirley Temple Black, U.S. Embassy residence, Prague, Czechoslovakia, 1990-1992.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 31.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 105, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 91, repro.