George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Whitney Gallery of Western Art, Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, Wyoming, 1964-1974.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, M.H. de Young Memorial Museum, San Francisco, 1977-1979.
- Extended loan for use by Jean B. Gerard, U.S. Ambassador to UNESCO, Paris, France, 1982-1985.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Jean Broward Sherlin Gerard, U.S. Embasssy residence, Luxembourg, 1986-1990.
- Catlin's 'Indian Gallery': Views of the American West, Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, Virginia, 1993-1994, no cat.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 27.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 55, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 59, repro.