Admission is always free Directions

Open today: 10:00 to 5:00

Provenance

George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.

Exhibition History
1968
Loan for display with permanent collection, Phoenix Art Museum, 1968-1969.
1969
Catlin Paintings Exhibit, Albrecht Gallery [now The Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art], St. Joseph, Missouri, 1969-1970.
1970
Inaugural Exhibition and Loan for display with permanent collection, Texas Technical University Museum, Lubbock, 1970-1974.
1975
Extended loan for use by the Ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, Dublin, Ireland, 1975-1978.
1982
Extended loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1982-2010.
Bibliography
1970
American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 26.
1980
American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 51, repro.
1992
American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 52, repro.