lower left on card: A/169; upper center on board on applied paper: 209; top right reverse partially obscured by tape: 14 x 1 [or possibly 7]; center reverse in white chalk: Top Row [or possibly Top Robe]
George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Indiens des deux Ameriques, Salle du Jardin Botanique, Brussels, 1870, no. 208.
- Catlin's Indian Cartoons, Somerville Gallery, New York, 1871, no. 208.
- Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., 1872.
- Possibly Centennial Exhibition, Washington, D.C., 1876.
- George Catlin, American Indians: Paintings from The Collection of the American Museum of Natural History, Kennedy Galleries, Inc., New York, 1956.
- Exhibition of George Catlin Paintings, Allentown Art Museum, Pennsylvania, 1970.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, W. H. Over Dakota Museum, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, 1972-1976.
- American Indian Life: Paintings by George Catlin, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 29.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 62, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 63, repro.