George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, W. H. Over Dakota Museum, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, 1972-1976.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador L. W. Lane, Jr., U.S. Embassy residence, Canberra, Australia, 1986-1989.
- Extended loan for use by the Diplomatic Reception Rooms, U.S. Department of State, Washington, D.C., 1990-1995.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 27.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 112, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 95, repro.