Admission is always free Directions

Open today: 10:00 to 5:00

Provenance

George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.

Exhibition History
1968
Loan for display with permanent collection, Phoenix Art Museum, 1968-1969.
1969
Catlin Paintings Exhibit, Albrecht Gallery [now The Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art], St. Joseph, Missouri, 1969-1970.
1972
Loan for display with permanent collection, W. H. Over Dakota Museum, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, 1972-1976.
1973
Extended loan for use by the U.S. Consulate, Leningrad, U.S.S.R., 1973-1979.
1982
Extended loan for use by Secretaries Drew Lewis, Elizabeth Dole, and James Burnley III, U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C., 1982-1989.
1993
Catlin's 'Indian Gallery': Views of the American West, Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, Virginia, 1993-1994, no cat.
Bibliography
1970
American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 27.
1980
American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 73, repro.
1992
American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 71, repro.