lower left: G. Catlin
George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Exhibition of George Catlin Paintings, Allentown Art Museum, Pennsylvania, 1970.
- American Indian Life: Paintings by George Catlin, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980.
- Sudamerica: Pinturas de George Catlin, Museo Franz Meyer, Mexico City; Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, Buenos Aires; Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino, Santiago, Chile, 1989-1990, no. 22, color repro. (organized by United States Information Agency).
- South American Indian Paintings by George Catlin (NGA National Lending Service exhibition), The Museums at Hartwick College, Oneonta, New York, 1992.
- Life in a Boundless Land: The Gaucho Scenes of Juan Manuel Blanes, Americas Society, New York; Center for the Fine Arts, Miami; Tucson Museum of Art, 1994-1995, no. 106 (catalogue: The Art of Juan Manuel Blanes, by Octavio Assunçao and others).
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 33.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 93, repro.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: 80, repro. 83.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 120, repro.