lower right: G. Catlin. p.
George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- 26 paintings by George Catlin from the Paul Mellon Collection, Old Courthouse, Jefferson National Expansion Memorial (National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior), St. Louis, Missouri, 1965-1968, no. 3, repro.
- Voyages of Discovery by La Salle, St. Paul Art Center, Minnesota, 1968.
- Westward the Artist [Third Anniversary Exhibition], Lakeview Center for the Arts and Sciences, Peoria, Illinois, 1968, no. 25.
- [The La Salle Series], Amon Carter Museum of Western Art, Fort Worth, 1970.
- An Exhibition of Paintings and Lithographs by George Catlin, Artist Historian, Tennessee Fine Arts Center, Nashville, 1971, no. 38.
- Voyages of Discovery by La Salle, Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association, Alexandria, 1972.
- [Catlin exhibition], Art Museum of South Texas, Corpus Christi, 1973.
- Voyages of Discovery by La Salle, Phoenix Art Museum, 1973-1974.
- Voyages of Discovery by La Salle, Missouri Historical Society, St. Louis, 1977.
- Inaugural Exhibition, The Community Art Gallery, Santa Fe Community College, Gainesville, Florida, 1978.
- American Indian Life: Paintings by George Catlin, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980.
- George Catlin: The Indian Gallery & The Voyages of La Salle, The Mansfield Art Center, Ohio, 1980, no. 54.
- Two Hundred Years of American Paintings, 1700-1900, Inaugural Exhibition, The Museum of Arts and Sciences, Macon, Georgia, 1981, no. 15 (and listed separately pp. 69-72).
- George Catlin: An American View, Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, 1988.
- Voyages of Discovery: History Paintings by George Catlin (NGA National Lending Service exhibition), Live Oak Gardens Foundation, Inc. [now Rip Van Winkle Gardens on Jefferson Island], New Iberia, Louisiana, 1992.
- Voyages of Discovery: History Paintings by George Catlin (NGA National Lending Service exhibition), The Lowe Art Museum, Coral Gables, Florida, 1993.
- On the Trails of the Iroquois, Kunst- und Ausstellungshalle der Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Bonn; Martin-Gropius-Bau, Berlin, 2013-2014, no. 164.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 37, repro. 39.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 97, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 130, repro.