lower right: Tarbell.22.
Marks and Labels
Purchased 1923 by Elva A. Belcher [Mrs. George E. Belcher], Stoughton, Massachusetts; her daughter, Gertrude H. Belcher [1872-1966], Brockton, Massachusetts; her estate; by bequest 1967 to Miss Beatrice Monk and John Hill, Boston; gift 1967 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Paintings by Edmund C. Tarbell, Guild of Boston Artists, Boston, February 1923, cat. no. not known.
- The Art Club of Philadelphia, January 1923, probably no cat.
- Thirty-sixth Annual Exhibition of American Paintings and Sculpture, Art Institute of Chicago, November-December 1923, no. 218.
- Twenty-second Annual International Exhibition of Paintings, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, April-June 1923, no. 50.
- French Impressionists Influence American Artists, Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami, 1971, no. 170.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Minneapolis Institute of Art, 1989-1990.
- Impressionism Transformed: The Paintings of Edmund C. Tarbell, The Currier Gallery of Art, Manchester; Delaware Art Museum, Wilmington; Terra Museum of American Art, Chicago, 2001-2002, pl. 40.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, Academy Art Museum, Easton, Maryland, 2007-2008.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 114, repro.
- Reitz, Susie. Journal of the American Medical Association 240 (1 December 1978): 2516, 2538, color repro. cover.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 247, repro.
- Pierce, Patricia Jobe. Edmund C. Tarbell and the Boston School of Painting 1889-1980. Pierce Galleries, Inc., Hingham, Massachusetts, 1980: 92, 106, 207, repro. 128.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 130, repro.
- Williams 1981, detail 189, 194, repro. 195.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 152, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 366, repro.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 200-202, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection