No overview available.
18th c.? hand on verso: Cette belle etude dessine [sic] par Rubens / a Servi pour Le Suject de daniel / dans la fosse aux lions / elle a ete achete [sic]
Marks and Labels
According to an inscription on the back of the drawing, Marquis de Gouvernet (sale, Paris, 6-10 November 1775); purchased by Conseiller Nourri (sale, Paris, 24 February-14 March 1785); purchased by Conseiller de Saint-Maurice (sale, Paris, 1 February 1786). George Fenwick-Owen, Lether Melton (purchased in a mixed lot at Sotheby's in about 1930); Mrs. Denise Fenwick-Owen, London (sale, Sotheby's, London, 27 March 1969, no. 86); NGA purchase via Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, in 1969.
- In Memoriam, Ailsa Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1969, unnumbered checklist.
- NGA Master Drawings 1978, p. 63.
- Flemish Drawings in the Age of Rubens: Selected Works from American Collections, The Cleveland Museum of Art, 1994, no. 44.
- A Collector's Cabinet, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1998, no. 74.
- Cott, Perry B."The Ailsa Mellon Bruce Gifts." The Connoisseur178, no. 718 (1971): 253.
- King, Marian. Adventures in Art: National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1978: 44-45, pl. 22.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 671, no. 1066, color repro.
- Mittler, Gene A. Art in Focus. Peoria, 1986: 253, fig. 14.10.
- d'Hulst, Roger A., and M. Vandenven. Rubens: The Old Testament (Corpus Rubenianum Ludwig Burchard, Part 3). London, 1989:57h
- Southgate, M. Therese. The Art of JAMA: One Hundred Covers and Essays from The Journal of the American Medical Association. St. Louis, 1997: 80-81, color repro.
- Wheelock, Arthur K., Jr. A Collector's Cabinet. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1998: no. 74.
- Mittler, Gene A. and James D. Howze. Creating and Understanding Drawings. New York, 2001: 78-9.
- Mayhew, Timothy David, Margo Ellis, and Supapan Seraphin. "Natural Black Chalk in Traditional Old Master Drawings." Journal of the American Institute for Conservation 49, no. 2 (Fall/Winter 2010): 85, fig. 2 (color; also reproduced on the cover).
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection