No overview available.
lower right: Mary Cassatt
Marks and Labels
M. Portier; sold 4 April 1899 to (Durand-Ruel, Paris); sold 12 March 1910 to M. Lanquety; by inheritance to his godson, Pierre Marbeau. (Sam Salz, Inc., New York); sold 5 March 1965 to Ailsa Mellon Bruce; bequest 1970 to NGA.
- La 8me Exposition de Peinture [Eighth Impressionist Exhibition], Paris, 1886, no. 11.
- Modern French Paintings, Manchester City Art Gallery, 1907-1908, no.71, as Children Playing on the Shore.
- French Paintings from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon and Mrs. Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, no. 120, repro
- Mary Cassatt 1844-1926, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.,1970, no. 33, repro.
- Women Artists: 1550-1950, Los Angeles County Museum of Art; University Art Museum, University of Texas, Austin; Museum of Art, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh; Brooklyn Museum, 1976-1977, no. 91, repro.
- Solitude: Inner Visions in American Art, Terra Museum of American Art, Evanston, 1982, no. 5, repro.
- Capolavori Impressionisti dei Musei Americani, Museo e Gallerie Nazionali di Capodimonte, Naples; Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan, 1986-1987, no. 2, repro.
- The New Painting: Impressionism 1874-1886, National Gallery of Art, Washington; Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, 1986, no. 139, repro.
- Impressionisti della National Gallery of Art di Washington, Ala Napoleonica e Museo Correr, Venice, and Palazzo Reale, Milan, 1989, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Französische Impressionisten und ihre Wegbereiter aus der National Gallery of Art, Washington und dem Cincinnati Art Museum, Neue Pinakothek, Munich, 1990, no. 55, repro.
- From El Greco to Cézanne: Masterpieces of European Painting from the National Gallery of Art, Washington, and The Metroplitan Museum of Art, New York, National Gallery of Greece, Athens, 1992-1993, no. 58, repro.
- Mary Cassatt: Modern Woman, The Art Institute of Chicago; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1998-1999, no. 47, repro., as Children on the Shore.
- Impressionists by the Sea, Royal Academy of Arts, London; The Phillips Collection, Washington, D.C.; Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, Hartford, 2007-2008, no. 69, repro.
- Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; The National Art Center, Tokyo; Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art, 2011, no. 6, repro.
- Young, Mahonri Sharp. "The Mellon Collections: The Great Years of French Painting." Apollo 83 (June 1966): 433, repro.
- Breeskin, Adelyn Dohme. Mary Cassatt: A Catalogue Raisonne of the Oils, Pastels, Watercolors, and Drawings. Washington, 1970: no. 131.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 33, repro.
- Williams 1981, repro. 137, 139.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 564, no. 862, color repro., as Two Children at the Seashore.
- Coman, Florence E. Joie de Vivre: French Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1991: no. 22, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 39, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection