falsely signed and dated, lower left: P Gauguin 91
Capt. Edward H. Molyneux [1891-1974], Paris, by 1952; sold 15 August 1955 to Ailsa Mellon Bruce [1901-1969], New York; bequest 1970 to NGA.
- French Paintings from the Molyneux Collection, The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1952, unnumbered checklist, as by Gauguin.
- Hampton National Historic Site, Towson, 1956, as Still Life by Gauguin.
- Paintings from the Collection of Mrs. Mellon Bruce, Society of the Four Arts, Palm Beach, 1958, no. 28, as Still Life by Gauguin.
- French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century from the Collections of Mrs. Mellon Bruce, California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 1961, no. 20, as Still Life by Gauguin.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Jack Kemp, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, D.C., 1990-1993.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 138, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 28, repro.