lower left: Claude Monet
Ernest Hoschedé [1837-1891], Paris; (Hoschedé sale, Paris, 5 June 1878, no. 48); purchased by A. Dachery, Paris; (Dachery sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 30 May 1899, no. 40). Ernest Cognacq [1839-1928], Paris; by inheritance to his grand-nephew Gabriel Cognacq [1880-1951], Paris; (Cognacq sale, Galerie Charpentier, Paris, 14 May 1952, no. 49); acquired by (Alex Reid & Lefevre, London) probably for Capt. Edward H. Molyneux [1891-1974], Paris; sold 15 August 1955 to Ailsa Mellon Bruce [1901-1969], New York; bequest 1970 to NGA.
- Exposition du Centenaire Monet-Rodin, Musée de l'Orangerie, Paris, 1940, no. 1
- French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century from the Collection of Mrs. Mellon Bruce, California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 1961, no. 28, repro., as Ships at Havre.
- French Paintings from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon and Mrs. Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, no. 82, repro
- Small French Paintings from the Bequest of Ailsa Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, 1978, no. 32 (continuing exhibition beginning in 1978)
- Capolavori Impressionisti dei Musei Americani, Museo e Gallerie Nazionali di Capodimonte, Naples; Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan, 1986-1987, no. 29, repro.
- Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, Washington, State Hermitage Museum, Leningrad; State Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow, 1986, no. 17, repro.
- Impressionisti della National Gallery of Art di Washington, Ala Napoleonica e Museo Correr, Venice, and Palazzo Reale, Milan, 1989, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Around Impressionism: French Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1999, no cat.
- Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, Washington, Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art; Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, 1999, no. 39, repro.
- Monet in Normandy, California Palace of the Legion of Honor, The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco; North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh; Cleveland Museum of Art, 2006-2007, no. 12, repro.
- A City for Impressionism: Monet, Pissarro and Gauguin in Rouen, Musée des Beaux-Arts, Rouen, 2010, no. 8, repro.
- Monet and the Seine: Impressions of a River, Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 2014-2015, no. 5, repro.
- Monet and the Birth of Impressionism, Städel Museum, Frankfurt, 2015, no. 41, repro.
- Bodelsen, Merete. "Early Impressionist Sales 1874-94 in the light of some unpublished 'procès-verbaux.'" The Burlington Magazine (June 1968):340
- Wildenstein, Daniel. Claude Monet: biographie et catalogue raisonné. 5 vols. Lausanne and Paris, 1974-1991: 1:no. 210.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 244, repro., as Ships at Anchor on the Seine.
- Small French Paintings from the Bequest of Ailsa Mellon Bruce. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978: 32, repro. (continuing exhibition beginning in 1978).
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 487, no. 721, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 280, repro.