lower center: frago
Possibly (Dennoor sale, Le Brun, Paris, 5-7 April 1797, no. 73). Rothschild collections, probably Paris and London. Andrew W. Mellon [1855-1937], Pittsburgh and Washington, by 1934; by inheritance to his daughter, Ailsa Mellon Bruce [1901-1969], New York; bequest 1970 to NGA.
- Three French Reigns (Louis XIV, XV & XVI): Loan Exhibition in Aid of the Royal Northern Hospital, 25 Park Lane, London, 1933, no. 119, repro.
- Exhibition of French Painting from the Fifteenth Century to the Present Day, California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 1934, no. 28, repro.
- French Painting and Sculpture of the Eighteenth Century, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1935-1936, no. 48, repro.
- Fragonard and His Friends: Changing Ideals in Eighteenth Century Art, Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, Florida, 1982-1983, no. 21.
- Wildenstein, Georges. The Paintings of Fragonard. New York, 1960: no. 321, repro.
- Mandel, Gabriele. L'Opera completa di Fragonard. Milan, 1972: no. 345, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 134, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 338, no. 453, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 160, repro.
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 32, 167-172, color repro.