No overview available.
on side of base, below horse's left hind leg: H M SHRADY; beneath on lobes of four-leaf clover: H M S F[ecit]; below horse's right hind leg: COPYRIGHT 1900 / Theodore B. Starr.; inside cavity of base: [cast no.] 2, in circle / [possibly foundryman's initials] E.W., in circle / CIRE PERDUE CAST / ROMAN BRONZE WKS / N.Y.
Marks and Labels
FM: Roman Bronze Works
(Theodore B. Starr and Son, New York), 1901. Art market, New York; purchased c. 1950s by Joseph Ternbach, Forest Hills, New York; gift 1971 to NGA.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Roger C.B. Morton, Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C., 1971-1974.
- Recent Acquisitions and Promised Gifts: Sculpture, Drawings, Prints, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1974, no. XI, repro.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 219, repro.
- Butler, Ruth, and Suzanne Glover Lindsay, with Alison Luchs, Douglas Lewis, Cynthia J. Mills, and Jeffrey Weidman. European Sculpture of the Nineteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 469-474, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection