lower left: F.F. Gut[ekunst] / H.O. T[anner] / [...]y 10, 1902; on cardboard backing now removed: Presented to / Mr. F. F. Gutekunst / H.O. Tanner / Seine 1902 Paris
Marks and Labels
Frederick F. Gutekunst [1831-1917], Philadelphia. private collection; Graham Williford, Fairfield, Texas; purchased 1971 by NGA.
- Henry Ossawa Tanner, Philadelphia Museum of Art; Detroit Institute of Arts; High Museum of Art, Atlanta; Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, M. H. De Young Memorial Museum, 1991-1992, no. 37, repro.
- L'impressionnisme américain 1880-1915, Fondation de l'Hermitage, Lausanne, 2002, no. 50, repro.
- After Whistler: The Artist and His Influence on American Painting, High Museum of Art, Atlanta; The Detroit Institute of Arts, 2003-2004, no. 60, repro.
- Artists of the Commonwealth: Realism and its Response in Pennsylvania Painting, 1900-1950, Westmoreland Museum of American Art, Greensburg; Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art, Altoona; Erie Art Museum; James A. Michener Art Museum, Doylestown, 2006-2007, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 246, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 17, no. 49, color repro.
- Williams 1981, color repro. 161, 185.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 156, no. 55, color repro.
- Mosby, Dewey F., Darrell Sewell, and Rae Alexander-Minter. Henry Ossawa Tanner. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1991: 134, no. 37.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 365, repro.
- Mittler, Gene A., and Rosalind Ragans. Understanding Art. New York, 1997: 236, 295, fig.15-10.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 196-198, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection