on base outside instep of proper left foot: Archipenko / 1915 / Paris A
(Perls Gallery, New York); acquired February 1966 by Mr. [d. 1970] and Mrs. Lester Francis Avnet, Great Neck, Long Island, New York; purchased 19 October 1971 by NGA.
- The Collectors' Collections. An exhibition of paintings and sculpture from the private collections of Joan and Lester Avnet, Wilfred P. Cohen, Alfredo Valente, Swirbul Library, Adelphi University, Garden City, New York, 1968, no. 24.
- Recent Acquisitions and Promised Gifts: Sculpture, Drawings, Prints, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1974, no. XII, repro.
- Archipenko, Alexander, and Fifty Art Historians. Archipenko. Fifty Creative Years, 1908-1958. New York, 1960: 52, pl. 145.
- Richard, Paul. "Slipping Masters on The Walls." The Washington Post (August 19, 1972): C1-C2.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 22, repro.