lower right: Picture Drawn & Painted by James Bard N.Y. 1854 / 162 Perry St.; on forward banner: J.B; on rear banner: JOHN BIRKBECK.; on boat: JOHN BIRKBECK.
Recorded as from New York. (Yesteryear, Kingston, New York, 1939). Purchased by (Frederick F. Hill) as agent for Mariners' Museum, Newport News, Virginia, 1940. (Old Print Shop, New York), by whom sold in 1951 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1971.
- Extended loan for use by John O. Marsh, Jr., Counsellor to the President, The White House, Washington, D.C., 1975.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary William T. Coleman, Jr., U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C., 1976-1977.
- Extended loan for use by the Ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, Dublin, Ireland, 1978-1981.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary John Block, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C., 1982-1984.
- Two Centuries of American Naive Painting, Terra Museum of American Art, Evanston, Illinois, 1985.
- The Bard Brothers: Painting American Under Sail and Steam, Natl. Mus. of Am. Art, Washington, D.C.; South St. Seaport Museum, New York; Mariners' Museum, Newport News; New York State Historical Assoc., Cooperstown, 1997-1998, unnumbered cat., repro.
- Peluso, Anthony J., Jr. J & J Bard, Picture Painters. New York, 1977: 70.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 24, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 25, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 9-10, color repro. 9.