Recorded as from Massachusetts. Descended in the family of the sitter to Drewville Jeffery, whose wife was a descendant of the sitter. (John Esposito, city unknown), by whom sold in 1964 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1971.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: 111 Masterpieces from the Col. of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., 1968-1970, no. 57, as M. Kranz. First venue: Gr. Palais, Paris.
- The New World, 1620-1970, Chrysler Art Museum, Provincetown, Massachusetts, 1970, no. 12.
- The American Folk Art Tradition: Paintings from the Garbisch Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978.
- Small Folk: A Celebration of Childhood in America, organized by Museum of American Folk Art, NGA loans shown at The New-York Historical Society, New York, 1980-1981, 51, no. 122, color repro. (cat. by Sandra Brant and Elissa Cullman).
- Erastus Salisbury Field: 1805-1900, traveling exhibition, 1984-1985, no. 41, fig. 69 (cat. by Mary C. Black). First venue: Museum of Fine Arts, Springfield, Massachusetts.
- American Masterpieces from American Museums, Mint Museum, Charlotte, North Carolina, 1985-1986.
- Between the Rivers: Itinerant Painters from the Connecticut to the Hudson, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Inst., Williamstown; Mus. of Fine Arts, Springfield, 1990-1991, no. 27 (not shown at third venue, Hudson River Mus. of Westerchester, Younkers).
- Angels and Tomboys: Girlhood in 19th-Century American Art, Newark Museum; Memphis Brooks Museum of Art; Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, Bentonville, 2012-2013, pl. 3.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 160, repro.
- Miele, Frank J. "Between the Rivers: Itinerant Painters from the Connecticut to the Hudson." Antiques Journal 8, no. 11 (May 1990): 8, 102, 108, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 180, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 119, 122, color repro. 120.