Admission is always free Directions

Open today: 10:00 to 5:00

Provenance

(M. Knoedler & Co., London, New York, and Paris); purchased 1928 by Mr. [1873-1936] and Mrs. [née Adele Lewisohn, 1882-1965] Arthur Lehman, New York;[1] gift 1961 to the White House, in care of the National Park Service, Washington, D.C.; transfer 1971 to NGA.

Exhibition History
1943
Thomas Jefferson Bicentennial Exhibition, 1743-1943, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1943, no. 20.
1971
Loan for display with permanent collection, National Portrait Gallery, Washington, D.C., 1971-1980 (lent to Franklin Institute, Philadelphia, 1979-1980, during this loan).
1979
[Exchange for loan to National Portrait Gallery], Franklin Institute Science Museum and Planetarium, Philadelphia, 1979-1980.
1981
Extended loan for use by Secretary Caspar W. Weinberger, U.S. Department of Defense, Washington, D.C., 1981-1987.
1987
Extended loan for use by Secretary Frank Carlucci, U.S. Department of Defense, Washington, D.C., 1987-1989.
1989
Extended loan for use by Vice President and Mrs. Dan Quayle, Vice President's House, Washington, D.C., 1989-1993.
1994
Extended loan for use by Secretary Richard Riley, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, D.C., 1994-2001.
Bibliography
1975
European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 164, repro.
1985
European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 190, repro.
2009
Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 56, 256-258, color repro.