falsely inscribed in standard script around the neck in underglaze blue in one line of six characters: Da Ming Xuande nian zhi (made in the Xuande reign of the great Ming dynasty)
Marks and Labels
(Parish-Watson Gallery, New York); sold to Harry G. Steele [1881-1942], Pasadena; his widow, Grace C. Steele [d. 1974]; gift 1972 to NGA.
- Bower, Virginia, Josephine Hadley Knapp, Stephen Little, and Robert Wilson Torchia. Decorative Arts, Part II: Far Eastern Ceramics and Paintings; Persian and Indian Rugs and Carpets. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 248, color repro.
As in the stem bowl from the Ming dynasty, 1972.43.55, the underglaze cobalt oxide pigment has emerged to the glaze surface along the outlines of the decoration. The foot-ring is smoothly beveled, and the base is recessed and glazed.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection