falsely inscribed in standard script on the base with an incised mark in two columns of two characters each: Xuande nian zhi (made in the reign of Xuande)
Marks and Labels
(Yamanaka, Chicago); sold to Harry G. Steele [1881-1942], Pasadena; his widow, Grace C. Steele [d. 1974]; gift 1972 to NGA.
- Bower, Virginia, Josephine Hadley Knapp, Stephen Little, and Robert Wilson Torchia. Decorative Arts, Part II: Far Eastern Ceramics and Paintings; Persian and Indian Rugs and Carpets. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 55, color repro.
Bubbles are scattered throughout the glaze surface. The glaze pulls away from the vessel's lip. The interior has a colorless glaze. The roughly trimmed foot-ring has several chips and reveals a white paste burned slightly orange. The recessed base has a colorless glaze.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection