lower center on scroll: NON VALET. / INGENIVM.NISI / FACTA/ VALEBVNT (Talent has no worth unless accomplishment follows)
Marks and Labels
Probably sons of the sitter, Giovanni Borgherini [b. 1496], Florence, and then by inheritance in the Borgherini family until at least 1568; probably by inheritance to the sitter's great-great-grandson, Cavaliere Pier-Francesco Borgherini [1637-1718]; his descendants or private collection, Milan; sold 1923 to Sir Herbert Frederick Cook, 3rd Bt. [1868-1939], Doughty House, Richmond, Surrey, until at least 1932; (Thos. Agnew and Sons, London); purchased 1960 by Michael Straight, Alexandria, Virginia; gift 1974 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of Thirty-Nine Masterpieces of Venetian Painting. In Honour of the Coronation, and In Aid of the King George VI Memorial Fund, Thos. Agnew & Sons, Ltd., London, 1953, no. 25, as by The Master of the Pitti Three Ages.
- Italian Art from the 13th to the 17th Centuries, Birmingham (England) Museum and Art Gallery, 1955, no. 72, as by the Master of the Pitti Three Ages.
- A Collector's Cabinet, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1998, no. 22, fig. 53.
- Dipingere la Musica: Strumenti in posa nell'arte dal Quattrocento al Seicento, Centro Culturale Santa Maria della Pietà, Cremona; Kunsthistorisches Museum Art Center, Palais Harrach, Vienna, 2000-2001, no. IV.10.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:217-218, II:pl. 148, 148A, as Circle of Giorgione.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 176, repro.
- Anderson, Jaynie. Giorgione: The Painter of "Poetic Beauty". New York, 1997: 314-315, repro.
- Danziger, Elon. "he Cook Collection: Its Founder and Its Inheritors." The Burlington Magazine 146, no. 1216 (July 2004): 455.
- Frank, Mary Engel. “'Donne attempate': Women of a Certain Age in Sixteenth-Century Venetian Art.” 2 vols. Ph.D. diss., Princeton University, 2006: 1:281, 319, fig. 212.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection