on base, outside edge under proper left foot: PITTALUGA (chip at upper part of L and U)
Antonio Frilli, Florence; purchased 1915 in San Francisco by Frank Duncan MacPherson Strachan [1871-1931], Brunswick, Georgia; by inheritance in the Strachan family until 1966; moved after January 1966 to Strachan summer house, St. Simon's Island, Georgia; purchased with the house August 1966 by the Hon. William S. Stuckey, Jr., St. Simon's Island, Georgia, and Washington, D.C.; gift 1975 to NGA.
- Italian Section of the Palace of Manufactures and Varied Industries, Panama-Pacific International Exposition, San Francisco, 1915.
- Berman, Harold. Bronzes: Sculptors & Founders 1800-1930. 5 vols. Chicago, 1974-1981: 4(1980): no. 3147, repro.
- Southgate, M. Therese. "The Cover: Carlo Pittaluga, Nymph of the Fields." Journal of the American Medical Association 245 (20 March 1981): cover, 1,160, color repro.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 175, repro.
- Norman Herz, Katherine A. Holbrow and Shelley G. Sturman. "Marble Sculture in the National Gallery of Art: a Provenance Study." In Max Schvoerer, ed. Archéomatériaux: marbres et autres roches: ASMOSIA IV, Bordeaux, France 9-13 october 1995: actes de la IVème Conférence international de l’Association pour l’étude des marbres et autres roches utilizes dans le passé. Talence, 1999: 101-110.
- Penny, Nicholas. "The Evolution of the Plinth, Pedestal, and Socle." In Collecting Sculpture in Early Modern Europe. Nicholas Penny and Eike D. Schmidt, eds. Studies in the History of Art 70, Symposium Papers 47 (2008): 461-462, fig. 2.