in later hand, lower center on mount in brown ink: Claude.; initialed by John Barnard in brown ink at lower right: J.B.; verso, in J. Barnard's hand at upper right in brown ink: J.B. No. 774. /10 1/2 by 8; inscribed in another hand in brown ink at lower left: ggS and in pen and brown ink at lower right: AW; numbered in graphite at lower right: T46 (or T216).
J. Barnard (Lugt 1419, 1420); English private collection (sale, Christie's, London, 5 July 1975, lot 68); Yvonne Tan Bunzl, London
- NGA Master Drawings 1978, p. 68.
- Claude Lorrain, 1600-1682. National Gallery of Art, Washington, and Galeries nationales du Grand Palais. Washington, 1982, 245, no. 41.
- Italian Etchers of the Renaissance and Baroque. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and National Gallery of Art, Washington. Boston, 1989, no. 39 (Sue Welsh Reed and Richard Wallace).
- Claude Lorrain - The Painter as Draftsman: Drawings from the British Museum. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2007, (not in cat.; shown only in Washington).
- Renaissance to Revolution: French Drawings from the National Gallery of Art, 1500-1800. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 64-65, 278, 2009, no. 23 (color).
- Roethlisberger, Marcel. Claude Lorrain: The Drawings. 2 vols. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1968.
- Kitson, Michael. Review of Marcel Roethlisberger, Claude Lorrain: The Drawings. Master Drawings 8, no. 4 (Winter, 1970): 409, pl. 43.
- Christie's, Lnd: 7/5/1975, 68.
- Russell 1982, 41.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 672, no. 1073, color repro.