No overview available.
lower left: W. L. METCALF.
Marks and Labels
Purchased before 1900 by Henry Keney Pomeroy [1854-1925], New York and Simsbury, Connecticut; by inheritance to his niece, Grace Hendrick Eustis Phillips [Mrs. Neill Phillips]; her husband, Admiral Neill Phillips, Upperville, Virginia; gift 1976 to NGA.
- Twelfth Exhibition, Society of American Artists, New York, 1890, no. 128.
- World's Columbian Exposition, Department of Fine Arts, Chicago, 1893, no. 523.
- Fine Arts Exhibit of the United States of America, Exposition Universelle, Paris, 1900, no. 193, as Summer Twilight.
- Exhibition of Fine Arts, Pan-American Exposition, Buffalo, New York, 1901, no. 765.
- Seventy First Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1902, no. 322.
- Americans in Brittany and Normandy 1860-1910, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia; Amon Carter Museum of Western Art, Fort Worth; Phoenix Art Museum; National Museum of American Art, Washington, D.C., 1982-1983, no. 84.
- Paris 1900: 'The American School' at the Universal Exposition, Montclair Art Mus.; Mus. of Am. Art of the Penn. Acad. of the Fine Arts, Phil.; Columbus Mus. of Art; Elvehjem Mus. of Art, Univ. of Wisc., Madison, 1999-2001, no. 76, repro.
- _American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 198, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 140, repro.
- Williams 1981, 190, repro. 192.
- De Veer, Elizabeth, and Richard J. Boyle. Sunlight and Shadow: The Life and Art of Willard L. Metcalf. New York, 1987: 44, 62, 63, 199, 200, 218.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 160, repro.
- _American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 236, repro.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 8-10, color repro.
- _Winter's Promise: Willard Metcalf in Cornish, New Hampshire 1909-1920. MacAdam, Barbara J. Hood Museum of Art, Dartmouth College, 1999: 10-11, fig. 2.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection