lower right, in red: M. Brown. lower right below signature, faintly in white: London / 1787
Marks and Labels
The sitter's widow, Charlotte Hughins Murray, London; gift to Richard Rush [1780-1859], Philadelphia; bequeathed to his son, Benjamin Rush [1811-1877], Philadelphia. (Rose M. de Forest [Mrs. Augustus de Forest], New York); purchased 5 November 1921 by Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1940 to NGA.
- Portraits Painted in Europe by Early American Artists, The Union League Club, New York, 1922, no. 9.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928-1931, unnumbered and unpaginated catalogue.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928, unnumbered.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 30.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 249, repro. 7.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 134, repro.
- Rutledge and Lane 1952, 62A.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 18, repro.
- Evans, Dorinda. "Mather Brown (1761-1831): A Critical Study." Ph.D. dissertation, Courtauld Institute of Art, University of London, 1972: 82, 89, 229.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1975: color repro. 378.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 30, repro.
- Williams 1981, 58, repro. 61.
- Evans, Dorinda. Mather Brown: Early American Artist in England. Middletown, Connecticut, 1982: repro. 73, 220.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 375, no. 527, color repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 35, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 14-16, repro. 15.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection