Admission is always free Directions

Open today: 10:00 to 5:00

Provenance

J.H. Bingham by 1954,[1] as by George Smith of Chichester; Dr. and Mrs. Henry L. Feffer, Bethesda, Maryland, as by William Smith of Chichester; gift to NGA, 1976.

Exhibition History
1954
Selections from the Collection of J.H. Bingham, Esq., Graves Art Gallery, Sheffield, 1954, no. 42, as by George Smith of Chichester.
Bibliography
1985
European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 377, repro.
1992
Hayes, John. British Paintings of the Sixteenth through Nineteenth Centuries. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 305-306, repro. 305.
Technical Summary

The lightweight canvas is finely plain woven; it has been lined and relined. The ground is white and, although thinly applied, masks the weave of the canvas. There is a translucent reddish brown imprimatura. The painting is executed in fairly thin, fluid, semitransparent layers with more thickly applied opaque paint in the flesh tones and white collar. The painting has been slightly abraded, and along the edges the paint surface has been abraded down to the ground. There is a considerable amount of retouching in the background, in the upper right quadrant, and along the contour of the sitter's right arm. The thin natural resin varnish has discolored yellow to a significant degree.