on edge of base: David Smith CI.III 10-22-62
Marks and Labels
The artist [1906-1965], Bolton Landing, New York; his estate; sold by the estate by 1969 to (Marlborough Galleries, New York); purchased 17 November 1977 by NGA.
- David Smith: Seven Major Themes, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1982-1983, no. 3 of Circles, repro.
- Crossroads of American Sculpture, Indianapolis Museum of Art, 2000-2001, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- David Smith: Cubes and Anarchy, Los Angeles County Museum of Art; Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; The Ohio State University, Columbus, 2011-2012, fig. 41.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 36, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 44, repro.
- National Gallery of Art, Washington. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 272, repro.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 220, repro.
- Marshall, Albert. "A Study of the Surfaces of David Smith's Sculpture." Studies in the History of Art 51 (1995): 96-97, 100-101, 103-104, repro. 100.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection