No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Commissioned 3 May 1973 by NGA; installed 18 November 1977 in the NGA East Building.
- Alexander Calder: 1898-1976, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, 1998, no. 267, color repro. (shown only in Washington).
- King, Marian. Adventures in Art: National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1978: 121 [illustrated by 1975.114.1, pl. 77].
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 36, repro. 38
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 46, repro.
- Kopper, Philip. America's National Gallery of Art: A Gift to the Nation. New York, 1991: 9, 304, 312-313 repros.
- National Gallery of Art, Washington. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 274, repro.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 40, repro.
- Hughes, Robert. American Visions: The Epic History of Art in America. New York, 1997: 420, color fig. 251.
- Alexander Calder: 1898-1976. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, 1998: no. 267.
- Gilbert, Rita. Living with Art. 5th ed. New York, 1998: fig. 338.
- Warren, Lynne. Alexander Calder and Contemporary Art: Form, Balance, Joy. Exh. cat. Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago; Nasher Sculpture Center, Dallas; Orange County Museum of Art, Newport Beach; Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University, 2010-2012, fig. 9.
- Mays, Randy. "Second Glance: East Wing." Washington Post Magazine 135, no. 90 (March 4, 2012): 26, color repro. (Solution key published in the Magazine 135, no. 97 (March 11, 2012): 34.)
- Harris, Neil. Capital Culture: J. Carter Brown, the National Gallery of Art, and the Reinvention of the Museum Experience. Chicago and London, 2013: 155, 259, 430.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection