No overview available.
on top of bar projecting from cube: David Smith / January 12 1965 / CUBI XXVI
Marks and Labels
The artist [1906-1965], Bolton Landing, New York; Phillip and Helen B. Stern, Washington, D.C.; purchased 1978 by NGA.
- David Smith, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, 1966.
- Sculpture: American Directions, National Collection of Fine Arts, Smithsonian Institution, 1975, unnumbered checklist
- David Smith: Seven Major Themes, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1982-1983, p. 223, repro.
- Twentieth Century Painting and Modern Sculpture, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, Japan, 1983.
- David Smith: Skulpturen - Zeichnungen, Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen, Düsseldorf; Städelsches Kunstinstitut, Frankfurt am Main, Federal Republic of Germany; Whitechapel Art Gallery, London, England, 1986-1987.
- The Spirit of American Sculpture: American Art Museum Collections [Twentieth Century American Sculpture at The White House, Exhibition II], The White House, Washington, D.C., 1995, unnumbered brochure, repro.
- Greenberg, Clement. "David Smith." Art In America 54 (January 1966): 27-32
- Krauss, Rosalind E. Terminal Iron Works. Cambridge, 1971.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 36, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 651, no. 1032, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 44, repro.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 220, repro.
- Marshall, Albert. "A Study of the Surfaces of David Smith's Sculpture." in Studies in the History of Art 51 (1995): 97, 101.
- Torres, Louis and Michelle Marder Kamhi. What Art Is: The Esthetic Theory of Ayn Rand. Peru, Illinois, 2000: 410, nt. 196
- Cigola, Francesca. Art Parks: A Tour of America’s Sculpture Parks and Gardens. New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2013: 101.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection