Recorded as from Massachusetts. (Robert Schuyler Tompkins, Sheffield, Massachusetts), by whom sold in 1949 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1978.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Springfield Art Museum, Missouri, 1958, no cat.
- Extended loan for use by The Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 1980-1981.
- Erastus Salisbury Field: 1805-1900, traveling exhibition, 1984-1985, no. 96, fig. 53, (cat. by Mary C. Black). First venue: Museum of Fine Arts, Springfield, Massachusetts.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Exh. cat. Traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 28, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 28, repro.
- Black, Mary C. Erastus Salisbury Field, 1805-1900. Exh. cat, Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg, Va., 1963: part 18.
- French, Reginald F., and Agnes M. Dods. "Erastus Salisbury Field, 1805-1900." Connecticut Historical Society Bulletin 28 (October 1963): 126, 228 (includes their "Checklist of Paintings attributed to E. S. Field").
- Black, Mary C. "Rediscovery: Erastus Salisbury Field." Art in America 54 (January-February, 1966): 55.
- Bishop, Robert C. The Borden Limner and His Contemporaries. Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1975: 65, 67.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 161, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 181, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 131-132, repro. 132.