on reverse (no longer visible, photograph in object file [1978.80.9] in NGA curatorial records): Wm. M Prior 3 Section Trenton Street / East Boston
Recorded as from New Hampshire. (Mrs. H. L. Henderson, city unknown), by whom sold in 1949 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1978.
- American Primitive Painting, traveling exhibition organized by the Smithsonian Inst. for the U.S. Information Service, Washington, 1954-1955, no. 58. First venue: Kunstmuseum, Lucerne, Switzerland.
- Exhibition of Early American Art, Academy of the Arts, Talbot County Historical Society, Easton, Maryland, 1962, no. 14.
- Is She or Isn't He? Identifying Gender in Folk Portraits of Children. Heritage Plantation of Sandwich, Massachusetts, 1995, no. 30, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 212, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 267, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 301, repro. 302.