No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Colonel George Gibbs [1776-1833], "Sunswick Farm," Astoria, New York; his widow, Laura Wolcott Gibbs [1794-1870], New York; sold through (Jacob Hart Lazarus [1822-1891], New York) in 1872 to Thomas Jefferson Coolidge [1831-1920], Boston; his grandson, Thomas Jefferson Coolidge III [1893-1959], Boston; his son, Thomas Jefferson Coolidge IV, Boston; sold 1979 to NGA.
- American Academy of the Fine Arts, New York, 1832, no. 196.
- Exhibition of Select Paintings, by Modern Artists, principally American, and living, under the Direction of a Committee of Amateurs, Stuyvesant Institute, New York, 1838, no. 198.
- Banquet held at City Hall, New York, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Washington's inauguration, 1839.
- The Washington Exhibition in aid of the New-York Gallery of the Fine Arts, at the American Art-Union Gallery, New York, 1853, no. 136.
- First Annual Exhibition of the Washington Art Association, Washington, D.C., 1857, no. 101.
- Third Annual Exhibition at the Gallery of the Fine Art Institute, Artists' Fund Society, New York, 1862, no. 176.
- Revolutionary Relics Exhibited at No. 56, Beacon Street, Ladies' Centennial Commission, Boston, 1875, no. 111.
- Exhibition of Portraits Painted by Gilbert Stuart, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1880, no. 207.
- Loan Exhibition of Early American Portraits, The Boston Art Club, Massachusetts, 1911, no. 45.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1921, 1926-1931, 1936-1943, 1946-1959.
- Loan Exhibition of Early American Furniture and the Decorative Crafts for the Benefit of Free Hospital for Women, Brookline, Mass., Park Square Building, Boston, 1925, no. 344.
- Gilbert Stuart Memorial Exhibition, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1928, no. 43.
- George Washington Bicentennial Historical Loan Exhibition of Portraits of George Washington and his Associates, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1932, no. 80.
- The Thomas Jefferson Bicentennial Exhibition: 1743-1943, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1943, no. 27.
- Presidential Portraits, National Portrait Gallery, Washington, D.C., 1968, no. 10, repro.
- Gilbert Stuart: Painter of Presidents, Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse, New York, 1975-1976, no catalogue.
- Zeichen der Freiheit: Das Bild der Republik in der Kunst des 16. bis 20. Jahrhunderts [Emblems of Liberty: The Image of the Republic in the Art of the 16th to the 20th Century], Kunstmuseum, Bern, Switzerland, 1991, no. 324d, repro.
- Mason, George C. The Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart. New York, 1879: 111-112, 218-219.
- "Portraits Painted by Stuart...taken from Mason's Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart." In Exhibition of Portraits Painted by Gilbert Stuart. Exh. cat. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1880: 46, no. 384.
- Bowen, Clarence W., ed. The History of the Centennial Celebration of the Inauguration of George Washington. New York, 1892: 98, repro. opp. 150, 484, 505.
- Park 1926, 498-499, no. 518, repro.
- Swan, Mabel Munson. "The 'American Kings'." Antiques 19, no. 4 (April 1931): 278-281, repro.
- Gibbs, George. The Gibbs Family of Rhode Island and Some Related Families. New York: 148-149.
- Swan, Mabel Munson. The Athenaeum Gallery, 1827-1873. Boston, 1940: 69.
- Bolton, Theodore. "The Life Portraits of James Madison." The William and Mary Quarterly 3rd series, 8, no. 1 (January 1951): 30-31-41-43.
- Sadik 1966, 164-166.
- Shepard, Lewis A. and David Paley. A Summary Catalogue of the Collection at the Mead Art Gallery. Amherst, Massachusetts, 1978: 196.
- Gustafson, Eleanor H. "Museum Accessions." Antiques 115, no. 5 (May 1979): 976-978, color repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 232, repro.
- Brown, J. Carter. "Five Gilbert Stuart Portraits At The National Gallery of Art Link Charlottesville To New England--The Coolidge Connection." The Daily Progress, Charlottesville, Virginia (23 September 1980): 10-11.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 8, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 10, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 354, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 265-266, 268-270, 275-277, color repro. 276.
- Barratt, Carrie Rebora, and Ellen G. Miles. Gilbert Stuart. Exh. cat. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. (for the National Portrait Gallery). New York, New Haven, and London, 2004: 276, 313, fig. 154.