Marks and Labels
Colonel George Gibbs [1776-1833], "Sunswick Farm," Astoria, New York; his widow, Laura Wolcott Gibbs [1794-1870], New York; sold 1872 through (Jacob Hart Lazarus [1822-1891], New York) to Thomas Jefferson Coolidge [1831-1920], Boston; his grandson, Thomas Jefferson Coolidge III [1893-1959], Boston; his son, Thomas Jefferson Coolidge IV, Boston; sold 1979 to NGA.
- American Academy of the Fine Arts, New York, 1832, no. 188
- Exhibition of Select Paintings, by Modern Artists, principally American, and living, under the Direction of a Committee of Amateurs, Stuyvesant Institute, New York, 1838, no. 199
- Banquet held at City Hall, New York, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Washington's inauguration, 1839
- The Washington Exhibition in aid of the New-York Gallery of the Fine Arts, at the American Art-Union Gallery, New York, 1853, no. 55
- First Annual Exhibition of the Washington Art Association, Washington, D.C., 1857, no. 102
- Third Annual Exhibition at the Gallery of the Fine Art Institute, Artists' Fund Society, New York, 1862, no. 180
- Exhibition of Portraits Painted by Gilbert Stuart, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1880, no. 208
- Loan Exhibition of Early American Portraits, The Boston Art Club, Massachusetts, 1911, no. 46
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1921, 1926-1931, 1936-1943, 1946-1959 (on loan)
- Loan Exhibition of Early American Furniture and the Decorative Crafts for the Benefit of Free Hospital for Women, Brookline, Mass., Park Square Building, Boston, 1925, no. 345
- Gilbert Stuart Memorial Exhibition, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1928, no. 46
- George Washington Bicentennial Historical Loan Exhibition of Portraits of George Washington and his Associates, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1932, no. 83
- The Thomas Jefferson Bicentennial Exhibition: 1743-1943, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1943, no. 30
- Gilbert Stuart: Painter of Presidents, Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse, New York, 1975-1976, no cat.
- Zeichen der Freiheit: Das Bild der Republik in der Kunst des 16. bis 20. Jahrhunderts [Emblems of Liberty: The Image of the Republic in the Art of the 16th to the 20th Century], Kunstmuseum, Bern, Switzerland, 1991, no. 324e, repro.
- Mason, George C. The Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart. New York, 1879: 111-112, 229.
- "Portraits Painted by Stuart...taken from Mason's Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart." In Exhibition of Portraits Painted by Gilbert Stuart. Exh. cat. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1880: 48, no. 423.
- Bowen, Clarence W., ed. The History of the Centennial Celebration of the Inauguration of George Washington. New York, 1892: 98, repro. opp. 150, 484, 510.
- Park 1926, 528, no. 554, repro.
- Swan, Mabel Munson. "The 'American Kings'." Antiques 19, no. 4 (April 1931): 278-281, repro.
- Gibbs, George. The Gibbs Family of Rhode Island and Some Related Families. New York: 148-149.
- Swan, Mabel Munson. The Athenaeum Gallery, 1827-1873. Boston, 1940: 69.
- Gustafson, Eleanor H. "Museum Accessions." Antiques 115, no. 5 (May 1979): 976-978, color repro.
- Brown, J. Carter. "Five Gilbert Stuart Portraits At The National Gallery of Art Link Charlottesville To New England--The Coolidge Connection." The Daily Progress, Charlottesville, Virginia (23 September 1980): 10-11.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 232, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 8, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 10, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 357, repro.
- Meschutt, David. "Checklist of Portraits of James Monroe." In Images of a President: Portraits of James Monroe. Exh. cat. James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library, Fredericksburg, Virginia, 1992: 17-18, no. 11, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 265-266, 268-270, 277-279, color repro. 267.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection