across top reverse: on stretcher: TOP Arshile Gorky 36 Union Square 1933-1934 1936
The estate of the artist; private collection, 1978; (Xavier Fourcade, Inc., New York); purchased 28 February 1979 by NGA.
- Third Biennial Exhibition of Contemporary American Painting, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1936, no. 10.
- Paintings by Arshile Gorky, San Francisco Museum of Art, 1941, as Composition.
- Arshile Gorky: Memorial Exhibition, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Walker Art Center, Minneapolis; San Francisco Museum of Art, 1951, no. 11, repro. (shown only in New York).
- Arshile Gorky: Paintings, Drawings, Studies, Museum of Modern Art, New York; Washington Gallery of Modern Art, Washington, D.C., 1962-1963, no. 27, repro.
- Paintings by Arshile Gorky from 1929 to 1948, Sidney Janis Gallery, New York, February-March 1962, no. 5, repro.
- XXXI Esposizione Biennale Internazionale D'Arte, Venice, June-October 1962, no. 4 in Rooms XXXVII and XXXVIII.
- Arshile Gorky: Paintings and Drawings, Tate Gallery, London; Palais des Beaux-Arts, Brussels; Museum Boymans-Van Beuningen, Rotterdam, 1965, no. 27 (London) and no. 37 (Rotterdam), repro.
- The Modern Spirit: American Painting 1908-1935, Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh; Hayward Gallery, London, 1977, no. 152.
- American Abstract Art, Stadtische Kunsthalle, Dusseldorf; Centre National Georges Pompidou, Paris, 1978.
- Murals Without Walls: Arshile Gorky's Aviation Murals Rediscovered, Newark Museum, 1978-1979; American Federation of Arts tour, 1979-1980, no. 5, repro. (shown only in Newark and on tour at Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington, D.C.).
- Arshile Gorky, Xavier Fourcade, Inc., New York, 1979, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Metafisica, Scuderie del Quirinale, Rome, 2003-2004, no. 99, repro.
- Picasso and American Art, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art; Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, 2006-2007, unnumbered catalogue, pl. 67.
- Arshile Gorky: A Retrospective, Philadelphia Museum of Art; Tate Modern, London; The Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, 2009-2010, no. 66, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 167, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 160, repro.
- Williams 1981, repro. 242, 243.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 188, repro.
- Strick, Jeremy. Twentieth Century Painting and Sculpture: Selections for the Tenth Anniversary of the East Building. Washington, D.C., 1989: 54, repro. 55.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 188, repro.
- Psychiatric Services: A Journal of the American Psychiatric Association, Washington, D.C., 1997, front cover, repro.
- Southgate, M. Therese. The Art of JAMA II: Covers and Essays from The Journal of the American Medical Association. Chicago, 2001: 186-187, 216, color repro.
- Gale, Matthew. Arshile Gorky: Enigma and Nostalgia. London, 2010: 40, fig. 16.