across top: (numbers 1-19); vertical along right edge: (numbers 1-24); in later hand, vertical along left edge verso: PORTRait of the ARTiST / with his MOtheR/ Agnes Phillips Collection
Marks and Labels
by descent to Agnes Gorky, the artist's wife; (Estate of Arshile Gorky, Xavier Fourcade, Inc., New York); purchased 1979 by NGA.
- Arshile Gorky: Paintings and Drawings, Tate Gallery, London; Palais des Beaux-Arts, Brussels; Museum Boymans-Van Beuningen, Rotterdam, 1965, no. 17, repro.
- Arshile Gorky, Fundacion Caja de Pensiones, Madrid; The Whitechapel Art Gallery, London, 1989-1990.
- Arshile Gorky Portraits, Gagosian Gallery, New York, 2002, unnumbered catalogue reproduction.
- Arshile Gorky Drawings Retrospective, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; The Menil Collection, Houston, 2003-2004, no. 57.
- Arshile Gorky, Fresno Art Museum, 2006, plate 57.
- Arshile Gorky: A Retrospective, Philadelphia Museum of Art; Tate Modern, London; The Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, 2009-2010, no. 29, repro. (shown only in Philadelphia).
- Carmean, E.A., Jr. and Eliza E. Rathbone. American Art at Mid-Century: The Subjects of the Artist. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, 1978: fig.11.
- Waldman, D., Arshile Gorky, 1904-1948 : a retrospective. New York, 1981: 74.
- Arshile Gorky Portraits. Exh. cat. Gagosian Gallery, New York, 2002: p. 23.
- Taylor, Michael R. ed. Arshile Gorky: A Retrospective. Exh. cat., Philadelphia Museum of Art; Tate Modern, London, England; the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, 2009-2010, no. 29.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection