No overview available.
Marks and Labels
The sitter's grandson, James William Otis [1800-1869], New York; his son, William Church Otis [1831-1889], Nahant, Massachusetts; his son, Harrison Gray Otis [1856-1915], Nahant and Needham, Massachusetts; his son William Alleyne Otis, [b. 1895], Boston. His cousin Robert Helyer Thayer [1901-1984] and Virginia Pratt Thayer [Mrs. Robert Helyer Thayer, d. 1979], Washington, D.C.; bequest 1980 to NGA.
- The Washington Exhibition in aid of the New-York Gallery of the Fine Arts, at the American Art-Union Gallery, New York, 1854, no. 45.
- Old State-House, Boston, 1892.
- Loan Collection of Portraits for the benefit of the Associated Charities and the North End Union, Copley Society, Boston, 1896, no. 52.
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1910-1949.
- American Portraits by John Singleton Copley, Hirschl & Adler Galleries, New York, 1975-1976, no. 14.
- The Washington Exhibition in aid of the New-York Gallery of the Fine Arts, at the American Art-Union Gallery, Exh. cat. New York, 1854: no. 45. [See Yarnall and Gerdts 1986, 1:828.]
- Perkins, Augustus Thorndike. A Sketch of the Life and a List of Some of the Works of John Singleton Copley. Boston, 1873: 91.
- Bowen, Clarence Winthrop. The History of the Centennial Celebration of the Inauguration of George Washington as First President of the United States. New York, 1892: 517, repro. opp. 172.
- Loan Collection of Portraits for the benefit of the Associated Charities and the North End Union, Exh. cat. Copley Society, Boston, 1896: no. 52.
- Bayley, Frank W. The Life and Works of John Singleton Copley. Boston, 1915: 190.
- Otis, William A. A Genealogical and Historical Memoir of the Otis Family in America. Chicago, 1924: 106, repro. 108.
- Bolton, Theodore and Harry Lorin Binsse. "John Singleton Copley." The Antiquarian 15 (December 1930): 118, owner erroneously listed as Robert H. Gardiner.
- Parker, Barbara Neville and Anne Bolling Wheeler. John Singleton Copley; American Portraits in Oil, Pastel, and Miniature with Biographical Sketches. Boston, 1938: 147-148, pl. 52.
- Prown, Jules David. John Singleton Copley. 2 vols. Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1966: 1:40, 45, 111, 160-161, 225, fig. 137.
- Morison, Samuel Eliot. Harrison Gray Otis, 1765-1848, The Urbane Federalist. Boston, 1969: 6, 22-33, repro. 26.
- American Portraits by John Singleton Copley. Exh. cat. Hirschl & Adler Galleries, New York, 1975-1976: no. 14.
- Williams 1981, 22, color repro. 1.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 148, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 30-34, repro. 31.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection