on side of ship: ERIE; on forward banner, reversed: U.S.M.; on second banner from right, reversed: ERIE.
Recorded as from Staten Island, New York. George Sturgis Fortson, by whom sold in 1962 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Stephen Ledogar, U.S. Ambassador to Mutual Balanced Force Reduction talks, Vienna, Austria, 1988-1990.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Stephen Ledogar, U.S. Ambassador to the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency, Geneva, Switzerland, 1990-1997.
- Erie County Historical Society. "Reed's Steamers: Fast, Fancy and Sometimes Fatal." From the Cashier's House 7 (Spring 1987): 2.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 427, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 598-600, color repro. 599.