Recorded as from Connecticut. (William Richmond, William's Antiques, Old Greenwich, Connecticut), by whom sold in 1954 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, traveling exhibition by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 16, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, N.Y.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 16, repro.
- Extended loan for use by Attorney General John Ashcroft, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, D.C., 2002-2005.
- Extended loan for use by Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, D.C., 2005-2007.
- Extended loan for use by Attorney General Michael Mukasey, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, D.C., 2007-2008.
- Thomas Chambers, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia; The Hyde Collection Art Museum, Glens Falls; American Folk Art Museum, New York; Indiana University Art Museum, Bloomington, 2008-2010, unnumbered catalogue, fig. 2-5.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 138, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 45, 47, repro. 45.