No overview available.
bottom center: COLUMBUS
Marks and Labels
Painted for the family of William Janney, Newtown, Pennsylvania; taken south by Mary Janney after her marriage. Given by a member of the Goose Creek Meeting, Loudon County, Virginia, to a family in Silver Spring, Maryland. (Robert Carlen, Philadelphia); sold to (Edith Gregor Halpert, Downtown Gallery, New York); sold 1945 to (M. Knoedler and Co., New York); sold 1945 to Joseph Katz, New York; sold 1947 to (M. Knoedler and Co., New York); sold 1947 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Pokety Farms, Cambridge, Maryland; bequest 1980 to NGA.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part II, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1957, not included in cat.
- Edward Hicks, 1780-1849, Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1960, no. 18.
- Extended loan for display with the museum's collection, 1994-2004.
- Price, Frederick Newlin. Edward Hicks 1780-1849. The Benjamin West Society, Swarthmore College. Swarthmore, Pennsylvania., 1945: 6, 26.
- Ford, Alice. Edward Hicks, Painter of the Peaceable Kingdom. Philadelphia, 1952: xiii, xiv, 145.
- Mather, Eleanore Price. Edward Hicks: His Peaceable Kingdoms and Other Paintings. Newark, Delaware, 1983: 205, cat. no. 116.
- Ford, Alice. Edward Hicks, His Life and Art. New York, 1985: 136-137, color repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 201, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 187-188, repro. 188.
- Ford, Alice. Edward Hicks, Painter of the Peaceable Kingdom. Philadelphia, 1998: 145, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection