Recorded as from South Carolina. (W. Holsclaw, Charleston, South Carolina, 1954). (Eunice Chambers, Hartsville, South Carolina, 1955), by whom sold in 1955 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part II, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1957, no. 43.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Exh. cat. Traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 43, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 43, repro.
- Hill, Joyce. "Cross Currents: Faces, Figureheads and Scrimshaw Fancies." The Clarion (Spring/Summer 1984): 29-30.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 234, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 255, color repro. 257.