lower center: A.M. RANDALL / 1777
Recorded as from Pennsylvania. (Robert Carlen, Philadelphia), by whom sold in 1950 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part II, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1957, no. 19.
- American Naive Paintings from the Naitonal Gallery of Art, traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 54, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 54, repro.
- The American Wildlife Image and Charles Frace, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., 1992-1993, no cat.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Roderick R. Paige, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, D.C., 2002-2005.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Margaret Spellings, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, D.C., 2005-2008.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 269, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 317-318, color repro. 318,