Recorded as from Stonington, Connecticut. Descended in the family of the sitter. (Victor Spark, New York), by whom sold in 1947 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part I, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1954, no. 22.
- American Primitive Paintings, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1955 (replaced temporarily for part of exhibition).
- Paintings from St. James' Collectors, Wildenstein Gallery, New York, 1955, no. 18.
- American Folk Art. Part of American Art. Four Exhibitions, Brussels Universal and International Exhibition, Belgium, 1958, no. 48, 37, repro. 36.
- 101 Masterpieces of American Primitive Painting from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by the Amer. Federation of Arts, New York, 1961-1964, no. 19, color repro. First venue: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, N.Y.
- Fifty Masterpieces of American Primitive Painting from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Society of the Four Arts, Palm Beach, Florida, 1967, no cat.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: 111 Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., 1968-1970, no. 27, repro. First venue: Grand Palais, Paris.
- The New World: 1620-1970, Chrysler Museum of Art, Provincetown, Massachusetts, 1970, no. 6.
- The American Folk Art Tradition: Paintings from the Garbisch Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, traveling exhibition by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 24, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, N.Y.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 24, repro.
- Little, Nina Fletcher. "Little-Known Connecticut Artists, 1790-1810." Connecticut Historical Society Bulletin 22 (October 1957): 100-101.
- Warwick, Edward, Henry Pitz, and Alexander Wyckoff. Early American Dress: The Colonial and Revolutionary Periods. New York, 1965: 96.
- Black, Mary and Jean Lipman. American Folk Painting. New York, 1966: 20, 21, 35.
- Schloss, Christine Skeeles. The Beardsley Limner and Some Contemporaries: Postrevolutionary Portraiture in New England, 1775-1805. Exh. cat. Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg, Va., 1972: 36.
- Harlow, Thompson R. "The Life and Trials of Joseph Steward." Connecticut Historical Society Bulletin 46 (October 1981): 111, 117, 126, 129.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 158, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 88-90, repro. 89.