on the lining fabric, in a later hand: DR JOHN SAFFORD / CLARISSA FRANCIS HULBERT / 2nd WIFE / JOHN + SUSAN MARTIN / MARY (ONLY CHILD OF / FIRST MARRIAGE) / WATERTOWN, N.Y. / C. 1830
Recorded as from Washington, D.C. (Adam A. Weschler and Son, Washington, 8 October 1972, lot 875), by whom sold to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch (Henry Coger as agent); by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Stephen Ledogar, U.S. Ambassador to Mutual Balanced Force Reduction talks, Vienna, Austria, 1988-1990.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Stephen Ledogar, U.S. Ambassador to the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency, Geneva, Switzerland, 1990-1997.
- American Naive Paintings from the Garbisch Collection at the National Gallery of Art, Taubman Museum of Art, Roanoke, Virginia, 2010, no cat.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 329, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 328-330, color repro. 329.