No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Dr. Georges de Bellio [1828-1894], Paris; probably by inheritance to M and Mme [she née Victorine de Bellio,1863-1958] Ernest Donop de Monchy, Paris. Sold 1907 for or by von Tschudi through (Boussod, Valadon et Cie., Paris). (Galerie Caspari, Munich)in 1916. Mrs. Meta Schütte, Bremen, by c. 1919 and probably in Schütte family collection until c. 1948; by inheritance to her granddaughter and her husband, Dr. and Mrs. F.M. Oelze, Bremen. (E.J. van Wisselingh and Co., Amsterdam); sold February 1951 to (Wildenstein and Co., London, New York, and Paris); by whom sold December 1956 to Arnold Kirkeby, New York; (his sale, Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, 19 November 1958, no. 12); Mr. and Mrs. George Friedland, Merion, Pennsylvania; (their sale, Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, 13 December 1961, no. 80). (M. Knoedler & Co., London, New York and Paris); sold January 1965 to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; gift 1983 to NGA.
- Claude Monet, Paris; Kunsthaus, Zurich; Gemeentemuseum, The Hague, 1952, no. 15 [Zurich], no. 13 [Paris, The Hague], repro.
- French Paintings from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon and Mrs. Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, no. 81, repro
- Paintings by Monet, The Art Institute of Chicago, 1975, no. 9, repro.
- Gifts to the Nation: Selected Acquisitions from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1986, unnumbered checklist
- From El Greco to Cézanne: Masterpieces of European Painting from the National Gallery of Art, Washington, and The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, National Gallery of Greece, Athens, 1992-1993, no. 46, repro.
- Claude Monet: 1840-1926, The Art Institute of Chicago, 1995, no. 14, repro., as Jean Monet in His Cradle.
- Around Impressionism: French Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1999, no cat.
- Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, Washington, Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art; Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, 1999, no. 38, repro.
- Monet: L'art de Monet et sa postérité, The National Art Center, Tokyo, 2007, no. 3, repro.
- Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; The National Art Center, Tokyo; Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art, 2011, no. 28, repro.
- Waldmann, Emil. "Bremer Privatsammlungen." Kunst und Künstler XVII (1919):176
- Rewald, John. The History of Impressionism. 3rd rev. ed., New York, 1961: repro. p. 184
- Goldwater, Robert. "The Glory that was France." Art News 65 (March 1966):42.
- Kuh, Katherine. "Golden Loans for a Silver Anniversary." Saturday Review (19 March 1966): 46.
- Rewald, John. "Notes sur deux tableaux de Claude Monet." Gazette des Beaux-Arts (October 1967):247
- Niculescu, Remus. "Georges de Bellio, l'Ami des Impressionistes (I)." Paragone 247 (September 1970):53, repro.
- Wildenstein, Daniel. Claude Monet: biographie et catalogue raisonné. 5 vols. Lausanne and Paris, 1974-1991: no. 101.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 483, no. 713, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 281, repro.
- Søndergaard, Sidsel Maria. Women in Impressionism: From Mythical Feminine to Modern Woman. Exh. cat. Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, Copenhagen. Milan, 2006: 276, 277 fig. 239, 278-281.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection