lower right: Claude Monet
Marks and Labels
Purchased from the artist December 1920 by (Durand-Ruel, Paris) and (Bernheim-Jeune, Paris); (Durand-Ruel, New York) by 1922 until at least 1926. (Sam Salz, Inc., New York); sold 2 November 1960 to Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; gift 1983 to NGA.
- Inaugural Exhibition, The Art Gallery of Toronto, 1926, no. 82
- French Paintings from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon and Mrs. Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, no. 91, repro
- Gifts to the Nation: Selected Acquisitions from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1986, unnumbered checklist
- Monet in London, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 1988-1989, no. 9, repro.
- Claude Monet, Österreichische Galerie, Vienna, 1996, no. 71, repro., as Waterloo Bridge, Daybreak.
- Obras Maestras de la National Gallery of Art de Washington, Museo Nacional de Antropología, Mexico City, 1996-1997, unnumbered catalogue, 172-173, color repro.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery, England, 1997.
- Monet in the 20th Century, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1998-1999, no. 15, repro.
- Monets Vermächtnis Serie - Ordnung und Obsession [Monet's Legacy. Series - Order and Obsession], Hamburger Kunsthalle, Hamburg, 2001-2002, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Aux origines de l'abstraction, 1800-1914, Musée d'Orsay, Paris, 2003-2004, no. 14, repro.
- Claude Monet, A Hymn to Light: Selected Works from the 1870s and 1890s, Hiroshima Prefectural Art Museum; Nara Prefectural Museum of Art, 2004, no cat.
- Wildenstein 1974, no. 1564.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 282, repro.
- Kirsh, Andrea, and Levenson, Rustin S. Seeing Through Paintings: Physical Examination in Art Historical Studies. Physical Examination in Art Historical Studies, vol. 1. New Haven, 2000: 225-226, color fig. 244.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection