lower right: Claude Monet
Marks and Labels
Purchased from the artist December 1920 by (Durand-Ruel, Paris) and (Bernheim-Jeune, Paris); (Durand-Ruel, New York) by 1922. (Sam Salz, Inc., New York); sold 2 November 1960 to Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; gift 1983 to NGA.
- French Paintings from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon and Mrs. Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, no. 90, repro
- Gifts to the Nation: Selected Acquisitions from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1986, unnumbered checklist
- Monet in London, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 1988-1989, no. 14, repro.
- Claude Monet, Österreichische Galerie, Vienna, 1996, no. 69, repro., as Waterloo Bridge, Pink Effect.
- Obras Maestras de la National Gallery of Art de Washington, Museo Nacional de Antropología, Mexico City, 1996-1997, unnumbered catalogue, 170-171, color repro.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery, England, 1997.
- Claude Monet, A Hymn to Light: Selected Works from the 1870s and 1890s, Hiroshima Prefectural Art Museum; Nara Prefectural Museum of Art, 2004, no cat.
- Monet's London: Artists' Reflections on the Thames, 1859-1914, Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, Florida; Brooklyn Museum; The Baltimore Museum of Art, 2005, no. 32, repro.
- Turner, Monet, Twombly: Later Paintings, Moderna Museet, Stockholm; Staatsgalerie Stuttgart; Tate Liverpool, 2011-2012, no. 21, repro.
- Wildenstein 1974, no. 1583.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 282, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection