The sitter, St. Louis, to her daughter Eugenia Paschall (later Mrs. Walter Carr), St. Louis; inherited by her daughter, Martha Eliza Carr (later Mrs. John Young), St. Louis, who took the painting with her to Geneseo, New York; given to her daughters, Mary Paschall Young Doty and Katharine Campbell Young Keck. The painting remained with Mrs. Doty in Geneseo until 1970, then came to Mrs. Keck, Washington, D.C.; gift to NGA, 1983.
- The Flowering of American Folk Art 1776-1876, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond; The M.H. de Young Memorial Museum, San Francisco, 1974, no. 14, color repro. (cat. by Jean Lipman and Alice Winchester).
- Portraits U.S.A., 1776-1976, Museum of Art, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, 1976, 44-45, color repro., (cat by Harold E. Dickson).
- Currents of Expansion: Painting in the Midwest, 1820-1940, St. Louis Art Musuem, 1977, no. 5 (cat. by Judith A. Barter and Lynn E. Springer).
- Classical Taste in America, 1800-1840, Baltimore Museum of Art; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte, North Carolina; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 1993-1994, no. 185, repro. (cat. by Wendy A. Cooper).
- American Fancy: Exuberance in the Arts, 1790-1840, Milwaukee Art Museum; Peabody Essex Museum, Salem; Maryland Historical Society, Baltimore, 2004-2005, fig. 229.
- Roberts, James H. "The Life and Times of General John Edgar." Transactions of the Illinois Historical Society, 1907: 12:71-73. (contains most of the known biographical information about the sitter).
- American Art Review 1 (March/April 1974): color repro. on cover.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 416, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 565-567, color repro. 566.
- Cooper, Wendy A. Classical Taste in America. Exh. cat. The Baltimore Museum of Art; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte, NC; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. New York, 1993:226-227, repro.